ISP Policies

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Sep 9 05:10:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> > Tulip Rasputin wrote:
> > Do the ISPs ever look for some particular AS number in the BGP
> > AS_PATH and then decide what action/preference/priority they
> > need to take/give based on the AS number(s) present in the BGP
> > AS_PATH_SEQ/SET?
>

> If there is a question that nobody here wants to answer, this would be
> it.
>
> Short answer:
> Publicly: No, heaven forbid. I'll just let BGP do its job.
> Privately: Hell yes.

I'm not a router guy (routing atleast), but perhaps there are performance
problems inside an ASN along a path which you connect to other places? So
you might lengthen paths through/to that ASN to force traffic across
another ASN's direct connection which is less problematic?

Or, you just don't want to send traffic through Bill Manning's ASN because
you dislike his hawiian T-Shirt Policy? There are probably a few hundred
reasosn why you'd avoid an ASN... In general though I'd think that like
Michel said: "It's a pain and its doing something that bgp should do for
you without lots of messing about"