Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Sep 8 13:25:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, David Cantrell wrote:

> Sure.  But then, SPF is not meant to prevent all spam.

s/all//

> It would (if widely deployed) have a very wide effect on spam with
> forged senders though, and the consequent bounces to innocent third
> parties.

I agree bounce reduction would be a good thing. But, I'm sure I've
mentioned it already, *SRS achieves same thing* without breakage.

To put it as an analogy (seems the done thing), I can use a plank of
wood (SPF) to bang nails into a wall, but given the existence of
hammer (SRS), the plank doesnt cut it ;)

(and handing out planks so other people can make shelves isnt
interesting).

> The hype does not come from the people working on SPF, but from
> clueless hangers-on who apparently can't read.

Possible ;)

Anyway, enough. The topic is indeed OT, and i'm just a net.kook.

regards,
Fortune:
Publishing a volume of verse is like dropping a rose petal down the
Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo.