XP SP2 other than windows update

Matt Ghali mghali at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 17:01:31 UTC 2004

FWIW, SP2 rendered my Sony Vaio PCG-SR17 completely useless. From what
I can tell, it replaced the PCMCIA bridge driver (pcmcia.sys) with one
that does not work, and there is no way to "roll back" the driver to
the pre-XP2 one without rolling back the entire OS.

I am in an ongoing dialog with MS support trying to resolve the issue
and will post if
we discover anything significant. But for now, if your laptop uses a
Ricoh PCMCIA bridge chip, I'd suggest you hold off on SP2.

matto