Are AOL's MXs mass rejecting anyone else's emails?

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Tue Sep 7 12:12:22 UTC 2004

Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Where does the 400lb gorilla lie down ? Whereever it likes.
>
> AOL does pretty much anything it wants to. If they start 500'ing your
> mail, it becomes your problem. Unless you have a large budget and a good
> legal team.

I'm not calling them out on it, I'm just stating that rejecting mail
with a 500 series error due to a PTR record not being looked up will
cause more problems and benefit.  Temporary DNS errors do occur so
slapping mail with a 500 could and will reject legit mail.  Of course,
AOL can do whatever they please....

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net
PGP: http://www.inoc.net/~dev/
Key fingerprint = 1E02 DABE F989 BC03 3DF5  0E93 8D02 9D0B CB1A A7B0

"Where's the ka-boom? There's supposed to be an
  Earth-shattering ka-boom!...Heavens! Someone has
  stolen the Illudium Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator!
The Earth creature has *stolen* the Space Modulator!"