Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Tue Sep 7 10:32:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:

> I think SPF is an important step in getting rid of people
> pretending to be someone else. If you have SPF records, and they
> match the mail, chances are you are who you say you are.

Not really. For that you need X.509 or PGP and web-of-trust.

Also, SPF doesnt tell you whether it is spam. Indeed, apparently
majority of SPF-valid email at moment is spam!

> Finding out who you are behind domain records/etc, thats a
> different story...

SPF is worthless.

Joe-job protection can be done in far better ways, eg SRS.

regards,
Fortune:
Zombie processes haunting the computer