Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon Sep 6 17:45:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Peter Corlett wrote:

> I'm an advocate of SPF, but not because it's the magic bullet that
> stops spam. It does however allow innocent domains to say "no, I
> didn't send that" and thus avoid the double-bounced backwash from a
> spammer forging their domain as the sender.

Envelope "cookie" schemes on outbound email, like SRS, can achieve
that, far better (*you* know whether the bounce is legit, rather than
relying on the bouncer to do the checking) and without the collateral
damage of SPF.

regards,
Fortune:
The American Dental Association announced today that most plaque tends
to form on teeth around 4:00 PM in the afternoon.

Film at 11:00.