RIPE "Golden Networks" Document ID - 229/210/178

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 17:29:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Rodney Joffe wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2004, at 10:46 AM, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
>
> >> Given Network A, which has "golden network" content behind it as described
> >> by the RIPE paper (root and tld data), if the network has some combination
> >> of events that result in all of their announcements to you being dampened
> >> by you, your users can't get "there". For grin's, let's say we're talking
> >> about .foo, one of the larger gtld's.
> >
> > But .foo is announced from 13 IPs globally, allowing for anycast probably 40
> > nodes. If gtld-A has an incident it may be a good thing to dampen it from
> > the internet as it may not be reachable, the other 12 gtlds will be able to
> > serve responses in a stable manner.
> >
> > Unless you're suggesting *all* the gtlds are flapping at once?
>
> Sorry. I thought I made that clear, in that "if the network has some
> combination of events that result in all of their announcements to you
> being dampened by you". I am not talking about events that happen all
> of the time, where one of 13 hiccups. .foo may have 13 IPs but they
> have two upstream providers, and the event causes all of their routes
> to flap.

ok so as someone else mentioned this would be a local problem. in a network such
as this, you should be concerned for the possibility of having large numbers of
prefixes dampened and soften your dampening parameters accordingly. there is
nothing special in this scenario about 'golden networks'

Steve