DNS Anycast as traffic optimizer?

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Wed Sep 1 21:05:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, James wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:00:53PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Steve Francis wrote:
> >

> > > Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> > >

> > Hmm, why not anycast the service/application ips? Having inconsistent DNS
> > info seems like a problem waiting to bite your behind.
>
> Which begs the question.. is anyone doing this right now? I've been wondering
> about the potential issues wrt anycasting tcp applications.. TCP sessions would
> be affected negatively during a route change..

short-lived tcp is probably ok though (like static webpages or something
of that sort) you'll also have to watch out for maintaining
state  for distributed application servers (I suppose).

TCP anycast has many more complicated implications than UDP/DNS things, or
so it seems to my untrained/educated eye.