DNS Anycast as traffic optimizer?

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Wed Sep 1 18:17:13 UTC 2004

Bill Woodcock wrote:

>      On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Steve Francis wrote:
>    > I'm sure there is research out there...
>
>Why?  :-)

Usual - if I build it myself, will it work well enough, or should I pony
up for a CDN?

>    > ...how good/bad using DNS anycast is as a kludgey traffic optimiser?
>
>I'd hardly call it a kludge.  It's been standard best-practice for over a
>decade.

I thought it was standard best practice for availability, like for root
name servers.  I thought it was not a good "closest server" selection
mechanism, as you'll be going to the closest server as determined by BGP
- which may have little relationship to the server with lowest RTT.
It'd be nice to see some metrics wither way....