XP SP2 other than windows update

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Sep 1 14:26:35 UTC 2004

In article
<DD7FE473A8C3C245ADA2A2FE1709D90B0DB373 at server2003.arneill-py.sacramento.
ca.us>, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> writes

>Every IT professional I know has had SP2 available three different ways
>for two weeks:

>1) Somewhere on a server for support staff to begin to experiment with
>and for a small set of guinea pig users to install.
>2) On a CD made after the download. On my CD I also have SP1 for Office
>2003. Part of being an IT professional includes maintaining an updated
>set of CDs carried at all times.
>3) On a slipstreamed install CD for new installs.
>
>Optionally,
>4a) On an SP2 image on a RIS server
>4b) On a ghost images
>
>The final SP2 has been available on M$ site even for people that don't
>have an MSDN subscription. Anyone that wants to call themselves an "IT
>professional" _does_ download and try major updates _before_ they are
>made available to end users, period.

Perhaps it makes more sense when I say that I only have two users, and
one of them is myself (and yes, I do have an SP1 CD). Long ago I used to
Microsoft's biggest customer in Europe (I think Olivetti was the second
biggest), the first major shipper of Windows /386 in the World, and well
aware of the issues when rolling out new software to lots of users. The
last couple of months I've been in hospital, and missed most of the
hoo-ha over SP2, but now that it's officially released I was really
surprised I didn't get an automatic update.
--
Roland Perry