Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Sep 1 08:50:28 UTC 2004

In article <49264.24.5.40.13.1094027638.davidu at everydns.net>, David A.
Ulevitch <davidu at everydns.net> writes
>Microsoft isn't hiding the link:
>http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
>
>linked from:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
>(well, click "get the service pack" and then "download")

I suppose my beef here is that they go on to say:

        "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A
        smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows
        Update."

Except it isn't. (Nor was it a week ago).

I'm an IT professional, but only one of my PCs is running XP. And it's a
full-price retail copy, not a bundled-OEM or upgrade. Hence me feeling
left out when I'm told that "IT professionals" have already been allowed
their Windows-update.

As we are told that this is in part a security update, anyone running a
network should be worried at the difficulty some of their users are
having getting hold of it.
--
Roland Perry