Energy consumption vs % utilization?

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Tue Oct 26 21:56:03 UTC 2004

> I doubt that very much, or we wouldn't have variable speed fans.  I've
> monitored CPU temperature when doing compilations; it goes up
> significantly.  That suggests that the CPU is drawing more power at
> such times.

I don't doubt what you are saying. However, I did say, "in the grand
scheme of things", meaning that the heat given off by the CPU, and change
thereof, relative to the constant heat given off by the rotation of hard
drives, the heat given off by the power supplies, etc., is still small.

> Of course, there's another implication -- if the CPU isn't using the
> power, the draw from the power line is less, which means that much less
> electricity is being used.

An important point, but I still bet relatively small.

It's going to be a busy weekend at the Rubenstein Lab (aka, my garage)
this weekend; I'll post results to my findings.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --