Energy consumption vs % utilization?

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Tue Oct 26 19:44:04 UTC 2004

It's more or less the truth though. Only on rare occasions, such as the
cluster/fail-over scenario given, can you actually supply less power to
certain machines, and power use largely unrelated to their actual
utilisation. Keep an eye on your UPS load during peak hours and you'll
see the load rising when traffic and server utilisation rises, but
compared to the baseline power needed to feed servers these fluctuations
are peanuts.
You supply a server with enough power to run...how is this waste
exactly...? If anyone is wasting anything, it's perhaps hardware
manufacturers that don't design efficiently enough, but power that you
provide and that's used (and paid for) by your customers is not wasted
IMO.

Cheers,

Erik

--