Energy consumption vs % utilization?

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Tue Oct 26 18:31:20 UTC 2004

Hello,

I've done quite a bit of studyin power usage and such in datacenters over
the last year or so.

> I'm looking for information on energy consumption vs percent utilization. In
> other words if your datacenter consumes 720 MWh per month, yet on average
> your servers are 98% underutilized, you are wasting a lot of energy (a hot
> topic these days). Does anyone here have any real data on this?

I've never done a study on power used vs. CPU utilization, but my guess is
that the heat generated from a PC remains fairly constant -- in the grand
scheme of things -- no matter what your utilization is.

I say this, because, with a CPU being idle of 100% utilized, they still
are grossly inefficient, on the order of less than 10% in all cases (ie, 1
watt in returns at least .9 watts of heat, no matter loading of the CPU).

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --