Okay, I'm just going to _assume_...

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Tue Oct 26 15:02:10 UTC 2004

In message <6.0.3.0.1.20041026005120.024e91c0 at pop.vt.edu>,
Rob Nelson <ronelson at vt.edu> wrote:
> I dunno, I can't take a survey of 347 users as anything approaching an
> accurate survey. That's less than .0000001% of the population of
> America.

Actually, .0000001% of the US population would be less than one person.

According to the article cited, the poll has a margin of error of 5.4%;
so we can expect a 95% chance that, for example, between 32.6% and
43.4% of the population the sample was selected from use unencrypted
wireless networks.  It is a statistically valid sample size.

In any case, consumer host security is a very real problem.
--
Shields.