Cisco etherchannel question

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Oct 20 15:37:54 UTC 2004

Thanks for all of you who responded with info about etherchannel information.
The core appears to be algorithm used for packet distribution among
interfaces (which I can't change on 5500):

"The EBC performs an X-OR operation on the last two bits of the source MAC
 address and the destination MAC address. This operation yields one of
 four  results: (0 0), (0 1), (1 0), or (1 1). Each of these values points
 to a link in the Fast EtherChannel bundle"

Apparently I have bad combination of source mac addresses (I only have 7
main servers responsible for most traffic and only one destination) and
solution in this case appears to be to manually change MAC addresses
of some servers until I can acheive better load-balancing.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net