aggregation & table entries

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Oct 15 21:19:37 UTC 2004

> > > This has been my question with uRPF from the beginning. You can
> > > solve this on for some networks, but it doesn't scale very
> > > well. Especially where you really don't know that your customer's
> > > customer is doing this.
> >
> > It's 2004, and so, your customers who want to do this have to
> > explain why, and you have to maintain extra-ordinary filters for
> > such customers, at either your cost or the customer's cost.
>
> ah-ha! Patriot-Act!

not nearly.  i'm not asking you to take your shoes off before you get on
an airplane, nor fingerprinting you before you enter the country, nor
secretly searching your residence while you're at work.  the closest
analogue would be wanting your body to be on the plane if your luggage
is, and wanting the name on your ticket to be the same as the name on
your photo-id.

in san francisco before the gold rush, it was absolutely common to see
citizens carrying firearms, or to know that they were carrying concealed
firearms.  by the end of the gold rush this was no longer common because
a "carry permit" was required.  same city + more people = different laws.

you can say that you hate this kind of change, but what you'll really be
hating is either the laws of human nature or the laws of thermodynamics.
either way, your hate is irrelevant to the final outcome.