I-D on operational MTU/fragmentation issues in tunneling

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Fri Oct 15 09:33:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 06:05:06PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>
> > for the lack of knowledge of the end-user administrators or webmasters.
>
> ... or vendors of equipment that these people use. There are plenty of
> vendors out there who make loadsharing-equipment for the enterprise that
> doesn't handle all these cases.

Unfortunately yes. In fact, I quite recently found a problem in
Riverstone's SSR2000's which just drop host-unreachables on
tcp-loadbalanced connection.. However, we still need to ask the
question "do we keep finding workarounds for other peoples poor
administration/implementation of technical solutions?"..

The technical solution for MTU problems is Path MTU Discovery. If a
vendor fails to implement, one should not buy its equipment. If an
end-user breaks his own connectivity, he/she needs education.

That would be the ideal world. In the less-than ideal world we have to
find a way to defeat the cluelessness (excuse the language) of vendors
and end-users.

--
Sabri Berisha, SAB666-RIPE              - I route, therefore you are
http://www.cluecentral.net              - http://www.virt-ix.net