short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Oct 9 20:17:11 UTC 2004

 From a recent email I gather this is very off-topic, so I will try to
be brief in my reply.

> (Geneva.CH.EU.*) since 3+ years. I can say from my experiences I couldn't
> make any kind of communication between botnets and spam. Most Trojan codes I
> have looked into doesn't have any command/action to make users send spam
> emails and such however they try infecting others by different ways that
> port 25 can't avoid.

Short answer:
Many of the infected systems have more Trojan horses installed than the
original infecting agent. Many Trojan horses have spam-sending or
relaying capabilities.. or even just anonymity capabilities or ID
theft/DDoS options. Thing is, there are always more options that can be
later installed.

As to you not seeing them.. I suppose it's as simple as you not seeing
enough of them.. count your blessings.

	Gadi.