Fixing stuff (was Re: short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS)

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Oct 9 15:50:10 UTC 2004

> But compared to the success rate of the bot writers, the anti-bot tools
> fall far behind.  Some people estimate between 10 million and 30 million

Actually, there are some fine Anti Trojan (AT) tools out there. Try out
The Cleaner and BOClean.

> new bots have been created this year.  That number is probably a bit low,

I'd estimate double that, but heck, I estimated there are drone armies
when everybody said there is no such animal in existence... so I don't
know about estimations.

> Masking infections is only a partial answer.  As long as the computer is
> compromised, it can be taken over again in new ways.  Going from fixing a
> million PCs a year to fixing 30 million (and probably more) PCs a year,
> needs to move beyond just sending complaints.

It would be a good start.

> Why don't people want to fix their computers?  And even worse, why are

Want to fix their computers? Try smaller and easier.

How about updating AV software, heck - how about INSTALLING AV software?

Some say that computers demand a license, much like cars. I'm beginning
to agree. It would never happen.

> Sorry Grandma, you've just lost all the digital pictures of your
> grandkids growing up.

Eh? What grandkids? Oh! Those yes. Dementia, sorry.

	Gadi.