Sensible geographical addressing [Was: 16 vs 32 bit ASNs yadda, yadda]

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Tue Nov 30 22:32:16 UTC 2004

I'm well aware that BGP is link speed agnostic.  That makes it even more
important (or less "not important"?) when looking at moving towards a
geographical routing concept.  If everything were equal, as I noted, then
geographical would make perfect sense.

But it isn't, so it doesn't.  :)

At large NAP points (the higher order ISP's) this may make some sense
because of the ubiquity of larger scale lines.  Throughout the entire bgp
structure though, this doesn't make as much sense.  The flip side, of
course, is that you rely on the higher-level ISPs to do some serious policy
upkeep.  This hasn't seemed to help much so far, and of course, as the
lower-tier ISPs or large-scale enterprises become multihomed, we still lose
out on what is being bantered.

Scott