16 vs 32 bit ASNs [Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 30 20:48:47 UTC 2004

Actually, no need for trouble with the existing private ASNs.  Afterall,
RFC 1918 is not exactly taken from any particular end of the IPv4 space.
The same situation can exist with private ASNs... They simply become
a hole in the list.

I don't think we need stricter ASN policies.  I think the current policies
are quite adequate.  If you think that the current policies are not
sufficiently
strict, I'd be interested in knowing in what way you think they are
insufficient.

In any case, there isn't a land-rush for ASNs under current policy as far as
I can tell, and, I don't think increasing the available bits will change
that.

Owen

--On Tuesday, November 30, 2004 11:38 -0800 Chris Burton <ChrisB at VMC.com>