Sensible geographical addressing [Was: 16 vs 32 bit ASNs yadda, yadda]

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Nov 30 19:55:20 UTC 2004

On 30-nov-04, at 16:29, Scott Morris wrote:

> In the interconnected world, geography is very much irrelevant to best
> path
> routing.  It's all about speeds and feeds where a local-access T-1 is
> obviously not preferable to a cross-country OC-3.

I have a very hard time seeing this as a realistic example in
interdomain routing. BGP has no idea about link speeds. I've seen many
occasions where BGP selects a path that is inferior because all the
paths cross the same number of ASes and that's the extent of BGP's
knowledge.

When looking at a small scale, you're right that network topology and
geography are very different. For instance, I live in The Hague, which
is in a very small country very close to a major international fiber
hub (Amsterdam). This means that it's almost impossible for me to reach
someone else in The Hague (or the world, for that matter) without going
through Amsterdam. If you look at Holland as a whole, the picture is
very different: the vast majority of traffic between any two points
within the country stays within the country. If you look at a
Western-European scale, there is almost no traffic that leaves the
region. And in 10 years, I've never seen any traffic between two points
in Holland go through Africa, Asia or South America.

This means that with geographic aggregation in effect, 90% of Dutch
more specific routing information can be aggregated away elsewhere in
Europe, 98% in North America and (possibly) 100% elsewhere in the
world.

Yes, there will always be exceptions. When you have a million entries
in the routing table, you don't worry about the 30000 special cases as
long as you can get the 970000 simple cases right.

Another misconception: the aggregation doesn't have to line up with the
fiber. If London needs two aggregates because one half is in the
western hemnisphere and the other half is in the eastern hemnisphere,
who cares? And it gets even better when you consider that an ISP will
carry all of its customer routes everywhere anyway: there is no need
for two peers to agree where the routing information for a certain
geographic area is exchanged: peer A simply listens for the information
in the location that it finds most suitable, and so does peer B. There
is no requirement for this to happen in the same location, or in the
"target area" itself.