Cisco ATM to ethernet VLAN local switching

Robert Larsen nanog at rkml.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 16:13:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to get the ATM to ethernet VLAN local switching working properly.
What I'm trying to achieve is to connect a Cisco 828 over an SDSL line using
a VP/VC that terminates on a Cisco 7200.  This VC is then connected at layer
2 on the 7200 to a VLAN, which eventually terminates on a Cisco2621.

Physical view:

 828  ____SDSL ____ ATM ____ 7200 ____VLAN____ 2621
router    DSLAM    cloud    router            router

I can get the 828 to talk to the 7200 at layer 3 no problem, but what I'm
trying to do is get the 828 to see the 2621 as being directly connected at
layer 3 (i.e. the 7200 is transparent).  Here is the logical (layer 3) view:

 828  ____ 2621
router    router

The config I'm trying to use is the following under the fastethernet
sub-interface:

	connect connection-name interface pvc interface interworking
interworking-type

This is described in more detail here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guid
e09186a00801ea88d.html#wp1110021

I'm not having any joy getting this working, so I was wondering whether any
of you have had any experience with this and can help me out?

The 7200 is a 7206VXR running IOS 12.2(25)S1.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.