Sensible geographical addressing

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Nov 30 15:08:47 UTC 2004

David Barak <thegameiam at yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> What exactly would be so bad about taking a page from the PSTN and
> using a country-code-like system? There are under 200 countries on
> the whole planet, so that's not a huge number of bits...

Not that this avoids renumbering, as countries do occasionally split
or merge. Sometimes there's also address space exhaustion within a
country and renumbering is required.

(I am reminded of a Londoner whining about "loads" of number changes
since 1990. In fact, there have been just three: 01 -> 071/081 ->
0171/0181 -> 020.)

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key