size of the routing table is a big deal, especially in IPv6

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Tue Nov 30 05:51:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:14:27PM -0800, Tony Li wrote:
> My preferred solution at this point is for the UN to take over
> management of the entire Internet and for them to issue a policy of one
> prefix per country.  This will have all sorts of nasty downsides for
> national providers and folks that care about optimal routing, but it's
> the only way that I can see that will allow the Internet to continue to
> operate over the long term.
>
> Tony

Unfortunately, the U. N. is full of people representing countries
whose only concern is their own petty self-interests, not the larger
good of the world community as a whole. The end result of this would
be arguing and bickering and delaying in any governance decision until
it's past the point where it matters and new problems have
surfaced. (It's like a room full of 4 year olds all screaming "MINE!")
With market interests, at least, there is a driving force to solve
various problems in a timely manner. Eventually, the governance of the
internet will have to be done in some sort of global forum but I don't
really think that particular body is the right place.

-Wayne

(Yes, I realize that finding lawmakers or the like who actually ARE
interested in the good of the community is like trying to find water
in the desert but you get the idea...)