"Make love, not spam"....

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Mon Nov 29 23:50:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:54:03AM -0600, Jerry Pasker wrote:
> The big difference between Lycos Europe, and a script kiddie with
> zombies is that Lycos is mature enough to use restraint and not knock
> down websites with brute force.

I have no idea whether they're mature enough.  They're most certainly
not knowledgeable enough, as they appear to have failed to account for:

	- zombie'd end-user systems (some of which will no doubt
	  download this DoS tool)
	- web sites hosted on zombies (and serving requests sent
	  to them either by rapidly-updating DNS or redirectors)
	- throwaway domains
	- hijacked ASNs

among other standard spammer tricks, all of which can be used to
deflect the attack or redirect it against third parties.

But beyond that: this is a silly tactic.  Spammers have as much
[free, to them] bandwidth as they want.  They're trying to drown
people who "own" the ocean.

---Rsk