who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 29 18:50:10 UTC 2004

Right... Well... The point of the loopback thingy was that you don't
renumber the loopback.  The address assigned to the loopback is used
as the session endpoint identifier, while, the address assigned to
the network interface is used as the routing endpoint identifier.  So,
BGP takes care of deailing with the consequences of renumbering the
routing endpoint identifier, and, lo0 remains a consistent session endpoint
identifier.

This will not scale, but, it does work (e.g. anycast).

Owen

--On Monday, November 29, 2004 1:39 PM -0500 Joe Abley <jabley at isc.org>