"Make love, not spam"....

Robert M. Enger enger at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 17:41:51 UTC 2004

For residential users on cable-modem, the plan will deplete a scarce resource:
upstream transmit opportunities.  The DOCSIS MAC layer imposes an upper limit
on the quantity of upstream transmissions (essentially PPS limitation, unless
concatenation is employed, and concatenation is probably moot if standard
ping with 1-second minimum transmit intervals is the upstream payload).

If the load actually causes a problem in upstream operation, then folks using TCP
for downstream service (e.g. surfing) will see their throughput cut.

Regardless, the cable companies will probably try to disable this service,
so they can avoid the financial impact of improving their infrastructure.
They need to conserve the money in order to launch new unsolicited bids for Disney...