BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Mon Nov 29 14:30:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 06:25:52PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> While IPv6 is still IP, it's not just IPv4 with bigger addresses. We
> have 128 bits, so we should make good use of them. One way to do this
> is to make all subnets and 99% of end-user assignements the same size.
> Yes, this wastes bits, but the bits are there anyway so not wasting
> them really doesn't buy you anything at this point. The advantage of

I believe this is exactly the thinking that produced the
completely pointless /8 and /16 Assignments in IPv4. That is a real waste.

> All I hear is how this company or that enterprise "should qualify" for
> PI space. What I don't hear is what's going to happen when the routing
> tables grow too large, or how to prevent this. I think just about

I said it before and I'll say it again: I believe it is easier
to build routers that can handle bigger routing tables than it is to
tell large companies to make their IP-Addresses Provider dependent.

Or Universities for that matter. Or research facilities. etc.

Nils