A6/DNAME not needed for v6 renumbering [Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 29 09:40:46 UTC 2004

I suspect that it is now time to agree to disagree.

I have said before and will say again:

	1.	IPv4 is fundamentally flawed in that we are using a single
		resource as both an end-point identifier and a routing
		identifier.  The phone companies figured out that these
		must be separate years ago.

	2.	IPv6 took some steps to solve this by making this division
		somewhat artificially through the use of A6/DNAME, but,
		later backed off from this practice.

	3.	IPv6 then completely failed to address issue 1 in any other
		way, and, so, we have, as near as I can tell, essentially
		come full circle to TUBA which we initially rejected largely
		because of issues like number 1 above.

To further paraphrase Randy: 'Swamp:  do not drink.'

Owen

--On Monday, November 29, 2004 8:53 AM +0200 Pekka Savola