BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Sun Nov 28 20:38:07 UTC 2004

* Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> [2004-11-28 19:51]:
> >there are a lot of organizations now having PI without having an ASN
> >and beeing multihomed. a transition to v6 with this policy would make
> >things much worse for them, so why should they?
> They shouldn't unless they need features that are available in v6 that
> are not available in v4.  Where's the harm in this?  The v6 stack provides
> for encapsulating v4 addresses in v6 easily enough and the v6 specs already
> make allowance for this.  I don't see any reason we need to get such a site
> over to v6.

ehm the v4-in-v6 mapping is a gigantic security issue. this is nothing
but establishing tunnels automagically and extremely dangerous.
v4-in-v6 is not supported on purpose or at least disabled by default on
many OSes, and that is a good thing.

so you say they should just keep v4 - that does not really help in
getting v6 deployed.

> >on the other hand, 1 ASN -> 1 v6 prefix does not necessarily mean 1 v6
> >prefix -> 1 ASN. might work out
> While I think a policy of "If you qualify for an ASN, you qualify for a
> prefix" makes sense, I do not think that the reverse makes any sense
> whatsoever.

ack.

> >>The convenience factor _is_ already outlawed.
> >true for new allocations, but there is a gigantic installed base, and
> >making their situation worse isn't exactly helping in getting v6
> >deployed.
> As near as I can tell, there's very little reason for such a site to ever
> adopt v6 and very little reason for the world to care that they didn't.

i think there's many many many more of those sites than you think.
and we really don't want to run in two parallel universes for longer
than it has to be...

> As such, I'm not sure I understand why this is a significant issue.  Is
> there some reason it's important for these sites to go to v6 instead of
> using 4-to-6 address encapsulation at their border?

4-to-6 is a horrible mess.

hb at bsws.de - henning at openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)