BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

Henning Brauer hb-nanog at bsws.de
Sun Nov 28 13:33:43 UTC 2004

* Cliff Albert <cliff at oisec.net> [2004-11-28 14:22]:
> As I also stated in my last post (which you snipped out, and is pretty
> relevant) is that the handing out of ASN's should be harder. Currently
> ASN's are given to every silly dude that says 'i want multihoming'.

I snipped that because I have nothing to add... as in, I agree that
care should be taken to only give out ASNs to those who are really
going to use it in a sane fashion. and maybe revoked easier when
they're not in use.

> However I understand your statement, but the IPv4 policy's are mostly
> there because you still have to support the old way. In IPv6 we can do
> things the new way, so why shouldn't we decide on new policies that get
> us to stop all issues we had with IPv4.

we'll never see the new way if it has so big drawbacks for so many
organizations that are happy with the old way.

hb at bsws.de - henning at openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)