BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Sun Nov 28 07:16:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:25:52 +0100
Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> All I hear is how this company or that enterprise "should qualify" for
> PI space. What I don't hear is what's going to happen when the routing
> tables grow too large, or how to prevent this. I think just about
> anyone "should qualify", but ONLY if there is some form of aggregation
> possible. PI in IPv6 without aggregation would be a bigger mistake than
> all other IPv6 mistakes so far.

The entire Internet routing table doesn't have to be centralized in the
core and it doesn't even have to be done by what are now called routers.
While most will instantly pronounce it as unworkable without even trying,
source routing or routing at another layer is an alternative way at dealing
with this problem.  Excuse me while I quote out of order, you say:

> While IPv6 is still IP, it's not just IPv4 with bigger addresses. We
> have 128 bits, so we should make good use of them. One way to do this

Should IPv6 routing just be IPv4 routing with bigger addresses?

John