BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Nov 28 07:07:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> And even if all active ASses would immediately adopt IPv6, we would
> land at about 18k IPv6 routes. "big deal".
>
> And I don't see multihoming adoption in IPv6 being anywhere quicker
> than in IPv4, so: where is the problem, please? We'll have about 1
> route per ASN... so even when exhausting the 16bit ASN space, this
> will be only <65k routes. And when will this be, extrapolating active
> ASN growth? 2010? 2015?
>
> Call me a retarded idiot, but I have a really hard time seeing any
> _practicle_ problem with "1 ASN == 1 IPv6 prefix" at all.

We'll run out of 16-bit ASN space much faster, and have to transition
to 32-bit ASNs.

Otherwise, by making the policies a bit stricter, we might make do
with 16 bit ASNs, or at least make do with them much longer.

Some of you may have seen this:
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-multi6-asn-pi-01.txt

I don't like the idea myself, but there it is.