BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Nov 26 08:59:21 UTC 2004

On 26-nov-04, at 8:43, Owen DeLong wrote:

> As such, it appears to be a catch 22.  If your organization has transit
> and PA space, apparently, as I read the policy, that would preclude you
> from qualifying as an LIR without spinning off a separate ORG to do so,
> then becoming a customer of that ORG.

> I suspect that the ARIN staff will be more reasonable about the
> application
> of this rule, but, that is just a suspicion.  I think we definitely
> need
> to review v6 allocation policy and improve its consistency and ability
> to meet the needs of the community if v6 is to make real progress
> towards
> broad adoption.

What you really want is PI assignments in IPv6, and you shouldn't be
changing the PA allocation rules or interpretation of these rules so
you can get this under the radar.

Tony Hain said he's going to ask for a BoF at the next IETF meeting on
somewhat aggregatable PI space in IPv6, I suggest the RIRs don't take
any action in this area until then.