BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Nov 25 20:50:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 08:20:01PM +0000, Ryan O'Connell wrote:

> On 25/11/2004 17:47, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
> >Why do people keep talking about 200 sites?  This is a fallacy.
>
> If you're not assigning IP addresses to other users, (I.e. you're an
> Enterprise rather than an ISP) you need 200 sites. (As you're "allowed"
> one /48 per site, and need 200 /48s to get an assignment.)

Wrong. 200 "other organizations". There is one /48 per site per
organization allowed without justification. So if you have one building
with let's say 10 different departments (== organizations!), you can
assign 10 /48 to this building, no problem.

As this word "organization" is not defined, just be creative in what
you call an organization.

And as this makes this whole 200-orgs constraint pathetic, there is
an effort underway (or even already agreed upon?) at least in RIPE
region, to just scratch it completely.

So it boils down to:

- you're a LIR (== you pay)
- you will assign to other "organizations".
  Definition of "organization" is up to you.

So to be honest, it boils down to "be a LIR" for any mid/large company.
"Only" the small ones will have real problem, but we're used to that,
eh?

> RIPE policy is pretty much identical to ARIN.

Jep. See:
http://www.ripe.net/info/resource-admin/rir-comp-matrix-rev.html
chapter 3.1

Best regards,