BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 25 17:47:49 UTC 2004

Why do people keep talking about 200 sites?  This is a fallacy.

The policy actually says:

6.5.  Policies for allocations and assignments

6.5.1.     Initial allocation

6.5.1.1.  Initial allocation criteria

To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an organization
must:

a) be an LIR;

b) not be an end site;

c) plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it will
assign /48s, by advertising that connectivity through its single aggregated
address allocation; and

d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to other
organizations within two years.

That's 200 other organizations, not 200 sites.

Note also the requirements for LIR and not an end site.  I don't know if
this
is in line with the RIPE policies (which is probably what BBC had to deal
with,
but, this is the ARIN policy, and, since this is NAnog, I think ARIN is the
relevant policy).

Owen