ULA and RIR cost-recovery

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 23 20:21:36 UTC 2004

> I have never been a fan of the registered ULAs, and have argued against
> the IETF's attempts to state specific monetary values or lifetime
> practice as a directive to the RIRs; but I am equally bothered by the
> thought that the operator community would feel a need to fight against
> something that really doesn't impact them.

Perhaps it is because in the perception of the operator community, we do
not believe it will not impact us.  The reality is that once registered ULAs
become available, the next and obvious step will be enterprises that receive
them demanding that their providers route them.  Economic pressure will
override IETF ideal, and, operator impact is the obvious result.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.