Opinions of recent ITU Comments on the Management of IP Addresses

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Nov 23 13:16:53 UTC 2004

On 22-nov-04, at 21:16, Vince Hoffman wrote:

> "This memorandum includes a proposal to create a new IPv6 address
> space distribution process, based solely on national authorities.

This is not exactly what it says in

> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.pdf

A quote:

"The early allocation of IPv4 addresses resulted in geographic
imbalances and an  excessive possession of the address space by early
adopters. This situation was  recognized and addressed by the Regional
Internet Registries (RIRs). However, despite  their best efforts, and
even though a very large portion of the IPv4 space has not been
assigned, some believe that there is a shortage of IPv4 addresses and
voice concerns  regarding the principles and managements of the current
system. Some developing  countries have raised issues regarding IP
address allocation. It is important to ensure that  similar concerns do
not arise with respect to IPv6. I have discussed with some industry
experts my idea to reserve a block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by
authorities of  countries, that is, assigning a block to a country at
no cost, and letting the country itself  manage this kind of address in
IPv6. By assigning addresses to countries, we will enable  any
particular user to choose their preferred source of addresses: either
the countryassigned ones or the region/international-assigned ones."