Opinions of recent ITU Comments on the Management of IP Addresses

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 20:16:43 UTC 2004

With all the recent discussion on IPv6 and the allocation thereof, I
havent noticed any discussion of the Director of ITU-TSB's memorandum,
"ITU and Internet Governance"
To quote an email from the MD of RIPE to a large number of ripe mailing
lists "This memorandum includes a proposal to create a new IPv6 address
space distribution process, based solely on national authorities. This
could have a serious impact on RIPE NCC Members, Internet operators and
the global Internet community at large"[1]
The original ITU memorandum is available at:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.doc
or
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.pdf

Its not an idea that fills me with joy, but I'd be iterested to hear the
opinions of  this mailing list

Vince

[1] This email included the phrase "We urge our members and others in the
Internet community to make their views about this issue known." so if
anyone wants to read it who hasnt I can forward a copy.