who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Nov 22 17:07:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:53 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > > you are drastically misunderstanding my hopes, my goals, and my role.
> >
> > Please explain them then.
>
> briefly, because i consider myself off-topic and sue probably does also.

The off-topicness is most likely only as this is an enduser/site
problem.

> the problem statement answered by the ipngwg was wrong.  they thought they
> were supposed to "solve the shortage of address space problem", but that
> wasn't the most serious problem then (and is not now).  the right problem
> statement would be to "solve the shortage of PORTABLE address space problem".
> note the insertion of the word "portable" before "address space".  the big
> problem in 1992 and the big problem now is that a wal-mart corporate desktop
> will either have an ambigious address (behind a NAT), or a hard-to-renumber
> isp-price-locked address (provider assigned), or a takes-a-slot-in-the-global
> routing-table address (provider independent).  three strikes and you're out!
> none of those three things is acceptable, not even as a compromise.

The current solution I see for this is still IPv6. Except that one moves
the complete 'Independence' problem a layer higher. Enter:

HIP: Host Identity Protocol:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/hip-charter.html

I've looked quite a bit at the various 'solutions' that got offered by
folks and came to the conclusion that HIP, and don't mind any related
protocols, are one of the very plausible solutions. Say we have 50k
ISP's worldwide, they get a /32 or so from the RIR's and announce it.
ISP is here 'a network not used by users' aka 'only routers', the ISP
could of course take a /48 out of their /32 and be a client of
themselves. Any organization can then use one or more /48's from one or
more (upstream) ISP's in combination with HIP. Problem solved.

There is one issue though that comes forth: a large organization, say
Shell, will get quite a number of /48's. An /48 per site as allocated
from the ISP that is serving them at that moment. If one wants to do
firewalling or make other assumptions based on the prefix you will have
quite a hell of a time updating them, certainly in such a large
organization. Then again, what are those folks doing who are being
called managers ? :)

No connectivity to the internet? -> use ULA, quick, easy, cheap.

Greets,
 Jeroen