who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Nov 21 19:05:52 UTC 2004

> > for all these reasons, large or multihoming endsystems will need V6
> > PI allocations and at some point the RIRs are going to have to
> > define/allow this.
>
> I find your attitude in this regard disturbing, especially as:
>
> > (note that i'm not speaking for arin, nor as a member-elect of
> > arin's board of trustees, i'm just another bozo on this bus.)
>
> You're bascially saying that you and people like you are so important
> that you deserve to receive benefits that go against the public good.

actually, i'm just trying to keep my role as member-elect of arin's BoT
separate from my role as an internet citizen.  as it turns out, arin's
BoT does not have a policy formation role.  when this issue comes up in
PPML or the AC, i'll speak up, but i'll be explicitly hatless when i do.

> While you're high and dry, the hoi polloi can renumber while at the
> same time suffering increased ISP costs because of the unnecessarily
> high hardware costs created by all those PI prefixes. In other words,
> today's equivalent of "let them eat cake".

you are drastically misunderstanding my hopes, my goals, and my role.

> It also shows contempt for the IETF, as you reject all possible
> alternatives to PI out of hand.

i never rejected all possibilities, just the ones i've personally studied
so far.  i'm also on record as saying that the easiest time to have fixed
this was before the current IPng approach was annointed; now we're playing
catchup.  even you in your multi6 role ought to be wishing that more had
been done before "IPv6" was cast in stone.

> > there is no possibility that any enterprise where i am responsible
> > for planning or design will ever run PA addresses out to the desktop
> > -- it makes multihoming impossible, which would leave me at the
> > mercy of a single provider's uptime, and a single provider's
> > pricing.
>
> Work is underway to remedy this.  However, if the RIRs decide to open
> up PI in IPv6, people will take the quick fix and there won't be any
> push to get the (admittedly) more complex but more scalable solutions
> to these problems off the ground.

somehow i don't think that's going to sway wal-mart's thinking at all, but
i do look forward to a lively debate next time this comes up on PPML.

the codification of the current approach as "IPng" in spite of objections
raised at that time amounted to a recommendation of "let them eat NAT."