who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Nov 21 02:47:46 UTC 2004

> And don't forget that you still have to change your phone number when you
> move a great enough distance. In IP we somehow feel it's important that
> there are no geographical constraint on address use at all. That's a
> shame, because even if we aggregate by contintent that would save up to
> four times in the number of entries in the routing table of any router.

Not necessarily true.  I live in California.  However, 703-842-5527 is a
valid phone number for me.  It even worked for me while I was in Puerto
Vallarta, Mexico.  I can take that number pretty much any where in the
world, whether temporarily, or, even if I move there.  Some exceptions
would be the few countries that are attempting to block or make VOIP
illegal, but, otherwise, I can pretty much take a VOIP phone number
anywhere I like.

Additionally, through FXP, you can take other numbers different places
as well.

However, I agree these are exceptions, not the general case.  Nonetheless,
the problem can be solved.  I bet companies would be more willing to
renumber when switching physical locations than they are to renumber
when switching carriers at the same physical location.

Owen