Stupid Ipv6 question...

James haesu at towardex.com
Fri Nov 19 21:51:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 12:25:10PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> FWIW, my test networks have always been configured with /126's, and
> have never had an issue.
>
> With the exception of auto-configuration, I have yet to see any
> IPv6 gear that cares about prefix length.  Configuring a /1 to a
> /128 seems to work just fine.  If anyone knows of gear imposing
> narrower limits on what can be configured I'd be facinated to know
> about them.

I am seeing the same here. We mostly use /64 as p2p links in 30071, and
also have /127's and /126's and even some /112's with legacy peers.
No problems exhibited in all cases.

But that still doesn't change the fact that /64 is recommended minimum
subnet size. :) Then again IPv6 gives us lot of *subnets* before we even
talk about gazillion amount of hosts ;)

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and