who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 19 07:35:50 UTC 2004

> It appears Iljitsch would have been correct to say "there is no _new_ PI
> in IPv6 unless you're an internet exchange or a root server."  As long as
> this remains true, there are nearly a dozen identified reasons why people
> would want/need ULAs, which was the original point of this subthread.

The point of the thread, in my opinion, is that changing the RIR policy
to support the needs met by ULA makes more sense than creating a separate
registry system and defining multiple address classes which are
theoretically
routable and unroutable.  Especially when we consider that the definition
of unroutable is very fuzzy at best.

> The RIRs, of course, are free to make IPv6 PI space available, and most
> of the justification for ULAs would disappear if that were to occur.
> However, there is no indication that this is coming, so absent any other
> ways to meet those needs, ULAs have a purpose.

Yes... Undermining the policy process of the RIRs.  Other than that, they
have no purpose.

>> speaking as someone who's had too much coffee today, it seems possible
>> that
>> the preponderance of arin's membership could prefer a pure transit world
>> to a mixed transit/IXP world.
>
> I'm not holding my breath waiting for ARIN's members -- largely ISPs --
> to approve end sites getting IPv6 PI space, something that would make
> multihoming more likely, reduce customer lock-in, and increase routing
> table sizes; it's contrary to their collective interests.

ARINs members do _NOT_ approve policy.  The BOT approves policy.  The BOT
only approves policy after it is recommended by the AC.  The AC is not made
up of ARIN members, and, is not elected by ARIN members.  They are elected
by the ARIN community at large.  Basically, ANYONE can vote. The AC
recommends
policy to the BOT based on consensus and discussion on the PPML and at the
ARIN Public Policy meetings (twice a year).  While it is true that a
majority
of the people who show up are ISPs, there is no price of admission for
joining
and participating in the PPML, and, the registration fee for the meetings is
quite nominal.

Decisions are made by those who participate.  If you want input into the
ARIN
policies, then, participate in the policy process.  If you thing it's
someone
elses job to make ARIN policy, then, accept the job they are doing, or,
contribute.

Owen
(Who is not an ARIN member, but, has been quite active in ARIN policy for
the last 2 years).

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.