IPV6 renumbering painless?

Ryan O'Connell ryan-nanog at complicity.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 22:10:02 UTC 2004

On 16/11/2004 01:24, Owen DeLong wrote:

 > ASNs issued today are subject to annual renewal.  While this is a
 > small charge and doesn't go up based on the number of ASNs, so, not
 > 100% effective at reclaiming all unused resources, it does, at least,
 > reclaim resources in use by defunct organizations that are no longer
 > paying the maintenance for them.

At least for RIPE-issued AS#s, it's damned near impossible to give them
back once they've been used for peering.

As a result of mergers, I've been left with AS16102 that's no longer
required but it's referenced from a number of other ASes as a result of
having been used for peering in the past. Some of the ASes it's been
reference from are abandoned (Company no longer exists as AS isn't in
the global routing table, or it exists and is still peering but the
owner has no BGP clue left on staff) which means I can't delete it from
the database.

I've bought this up with a couple of people and I believe it's been
discussed in the appropriate RIPE WGs, but AS# exhaustion isn't
currently regarded as a pressing enough issue that anyone has thought up
a suitable solution. I guess when we do start running *really* short on
AS#s, RIRs will start being much more aggress reclaiming unused AS#s and
we'll probably see quite a few suddenly become usable.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time