EFF whitepaper

Paul G paul at rusko.us
Tue Nov 16 14:03:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Kulawiec" <rsk at gsp.org>
To: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: EFF whitepaper

--- snip ---

> > Collateral damage is unacceptable, period.
>
> Oh, I most certainly agree -- but then again, since nobody is being
> "damaged" in any way (something the EFF clearly doesn't understand),
> this is not a problem.
>
> Note: all instance of "you" which follow are rhetorical and not intended
> to apply to any individual.
>
> If you call me, and I do not accept your call, have I "damaged" you?
> No.  I have merely declined to extend you a privilege.
>
> If you send me a letter, and I choose not to accept delivery, have
> I "damaged" you?  No.  I have merely declined to extend you a privilege.

if i were being sent a letter or a call and my post office/telephone company
decided to reject them because they were overworked and needed to filter to
reduce costs, i'd have a lot to say about that, as i'm sure would you.

with that said, this is quite possibly off-topic to nanog. i'd second the
request earlier in the thread to move it to somewhere more appropriate.

paul

---
paul galynin