IPV6 renumbering painless?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Nov 14 17:10:03 UTC 2004

On 13-nov-04, at 18:11, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> 30% usage and we need 32 bit ASNs?

Usage is of course irrelevant, what counts is how many free ones are
left. This number is well below 70%.

We would be better off upgrading to 32 bits AS numbers sooner rather
than later (unless we're confident we'll never run out of 16 bit ones)
because this way there are enough 16 bit AS numbers left. The current
32 bit AS number proposal (that has been around for at least 4 years
now) should work very well for routers that aren't upgraded as long as
only leaf sites use the 32 bit AS numbers. 32 bit AS numbers for
transit ASes are best avoided until everyone has upgraded.