The Cidr Report

joshua sahala jejs at sahala.org
Sun Nov 14 00:53:57 UTC 2004

On (13/11/04 16:38), Randy Bush wrote:

> register the covering prefixes in the irr and folk should filter.
> folk who don't filter are welcome to the results.  i encourage my
> competitors not to filter.

it won't be your competitors who suffer though...it would be the networks
that someone is trying to hijack that would see traffic/reachability
problems.  granted this would be limited in scope to those networks which
are not filtering, but as we have seen numberous times on this list and
others, filtering isn't universal or equally applied.

while i don't agree with the methodology covad is using, i can understand
their position.  and if it had happened to me, i probably would have done
the same, albeit for a shorter time frame...you and i are free to filter
our networks as we see fit (or are contractually obligated), so if you
want to filter at /18, go for it.  i however will urge everyone
(especially my competitors) to filter because it is good for them and good
for me.

/joshua
--

            ****    END NANOG CENSORSHIP    ****